Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I get custody of my wife's kid. I have been "Dad" for years but want her to share my last name.?

I live in Beaverton, Oregon. I believe that her biological father wont contest the change in custody I just need to know if we need to fill out forms or hire a lawyer or?? I appreciate any help at all. Thank you.How do I get custody of my wife's kid. I have been %26quot;Dad%26quot; for years but want her to share my last name.?You'll need to hire an attorney who specializes in family law to help with the legal side of things. The biological father will also have to willingly give up his paternal rights in order for you to adopt.



As for sharing your last name, if the child is very young, then you'll just have to go through a name change (not a speedy process, but not a particularly difficult one either). My opinion is that if the child is older than 10, you should ask her if she WANTS to change her last name, and to value her opinion. Tell her that you would like it if she took your last name, since you want to be %26quot;Dad for real.%26quot; But also say that since she's lived with that name for a long time, you'll understand if she wants to keep it. And try not to be too hurt if she wants to keep the name she was given at birth... it doesn't mean she doesn't love you.How do I get custody of my wife's kid. I have been %26quot;Dad%26quot; for years but want her to share my last name.?it's called adoption.



the bio dad signs (witnessed by a notary) a %26quot;release of parental rights%26quot; legal form for your state that you can probably find online. look around online for free community legal help, get online with NOLO (great legal site), call the law schools, etc.



this will make you legally responsible for this child until she is 18 and for that you can rename her the family name.



%26quot;Custody%26quot; is something different. Your wife as %26quot;custody%26quot; = there is a primary and secondary is the visting parent or they have shared or equal custody and no one pays child support. You are not a consideration. In the event something happens to your wife you should look into changes so this kid doesnt get returned to a parent who doesnt want her. Again, you would not be a consideration in your current setting of being a stepfather, sadly. This is why you need wills, living trusts, etc. for your kids so they don't end up in the wrong hands.



You can do this without the expense of a lawyer if everyone is in agreement. Either way if you adopt you will have to go to a court hearing and the judge will have to interview everyone, including the child. Right on, adopt and love that kid to bits!



See out legal advice from a court mediator or county clerks office. I hate attorneys and would avoid their %26quot;help%26quot; at any %26quot;cost%26quot; as they will bilk you for all you have for something relatively simple - you don't need one, you can do loads of things on your own.



googleHow do I get custody of my wife's kid. I have been %26quot;Dad%26quot; for years but want her to share my last name.?If all 3 persons (kid, mom, bio dad) are in agreement, then ok to adopt the kid. If any one objects, then best leave it alone.