Friday, June 3, 2011

I had 50/50 custody with my ex - he now has every other weekend only how do I change legally without attorney?

I got a divorce 3 years ago - my ex insisted on 50/50 custody so as to not be forced to pay child support etc. My divorce docs state I'm required to pay 75% of all kids expenses like camp and school etc. because at the time of our divorce I held an executive level position and he was 'temping'. Now, I'm unemployed as my company fell upon hard times and recently filed bankruptcy. I was let go in April and never went for child support assuming I'd be back to work in a few months, I had a severance package and he'd never pay anyhow. Well here we are in November, severance has run out and I'm still out of work. I had to pay 75% of camp in the summer which was totally unfair. Now I have the kids most of the time - he takes them every other weekend. We mutually agreed upon this verbally because the ridiculous custody schedule was having an effect on the kids school work and they don't want to go with him anymore. I cannot afford to take care of them on just unemployment so I need to go to family court and get my divorce docs revised, have custody changed and go for child support. I do not have one dime for an attorney to assist with this process and I know if I present docs to my ex he won't sign them so this has to be done through the courts. Live in Brooklyn NY - any advice?????I had 50/50 custody with my ex - he now has every other weekend only how do I change legally without attorney?You have to do it officially, but there are many, many women in the situation where they cannot afford an attorney. There must be a way - ask for help, from the state, from local services, from family or friends if you have to. Use your executive-level skills and find a way to get it done.I had 50/50 custody with my ex - he now has every other weekend only how do I change legally without attorney?I don't know how it works where you live but in Tn. it all has to go through the court system.