Friday, June 3, 2011

Just curious...Custody Change?

My exwife and I divorced and she left me and our daughter (2y/o). We have joint custody and the child lives with me. The ex-wife pays child support. She had a year of fun and came back into our daughter's life. We have both since re-married and have more children. (5 years have passed and daughter is 8 now) Her mother sees her every other weekend and has been stable in her life. We each have good homes, but I know my daughter desires to be with her mom and live with her mom, and her mom wants our daughter to live with her desperately. What steps do I need to keep joint custody as we have but change where she resides, and how do I cancel child support that her mom pays me currently? We have agreed that we are not going to request child support either way, she has so much owed to me in arrears, so she will pay off what she owes and neither of us will pay eachother any certain amount (although I would plan to help support her w/out going through the state)

What do we need to do to complete this? Do we have to go to courts or can we do this w/out going to court?Just curious...Custody Change?You really need to get the court to sign the order on this. If not, things can get real messed up.Just curious...Custody Change?Make certain that it goes through the courts so that there is recorded documentation, especially since she is in arrears with her payments. The process should be fairly easy, depending on where you live. Call or visit your family court to answer your questions thoroughly.Just curious...Custody Change?You just have to draw up a court order with your changes and have a judge sign it. simple modification in the existing order.Just curious...Custody Change?You need to go through the courts. I think it is wonderful the two of you have decided this. It is wonderful to hear, when all you usually here are about are parents arguing and pulling kids apart at the seams.