Friday, June 3, 2011

How to get custody change at 16?

I'm 16, turning 17 in a 4 months, i live in madison wisconsin, and my dad has full custody of me.



We just moved there a week ago from la crosse wi, and i'm sick of moving so i don't want to live with him anymore. I hate going to new schools over and over again. I have been to 6 different schools in less than 3 years.



I want to live with my brother that's 19 and he lives in Minnesota. That's where i grew up and my family and friends are there.



I know it's possible, there's no reason the court shouldn't let me decide at my age. My brother can support me better than my dad can.



My dad is not concenting to it ethier and that is what makes it harder.



I just want to know how long this will actually take, and if i really have to fill out all papers instead of just going to the court and having a saying in where i want to live.



thanks, i want to get it done asap before i go to far into the new school here.How to get custody change at 16?You may have to ask your brother to have his attorney petition the court. Since you're 16, it's just a legal formality. You might even be able to move in with your brother without asking the court. Your father might try to regain custody of you, but at 16 years old he probably won't be able to.