Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Changing schools during custody dispute?

My ex and I are in a custody dispute with our son. Currently we split his time 50/ 50 changing him through the week. We have been doing this for 4 years. Right now he goes to school in my town, he is in kindergarten. My ex moved out of state after the petition for custody was filed. My ex now drives my son 1 hour and 40 minutes back and forth to school during their time. We are currently waiting for a court date. I have a feeling my ex is going to try to change his school to the town in the new state when school starts again in august if we have not been to court yet. Can they do that or is this a violation? how can i make sure my son stays in his school he is familiar with?Changing schools during custody dispute?I believe you will prevail if this gets to court. The court will do everything possible to maintain the status quo of the child. The parents' lives can be disrupted, but the Court will minimize any disruption to the child. So--what to do if you don't get to court to protect that status quo? Get a letter on file with the school and make sure it is clear that this is your child and advise the school the safest course of action for the school is to refuse any request for transfer of records. State directly that you are the co-parent and you do not give permission to the child to change school. Tell the school that any act involving your son requires notice and permission of both parents. Get to your attorney as quickly as possible and ask her/him to file a short and quick motion with the Court to order the parties to maintain the status quo. That's an easy request for the school and the Court and you end up being seen as the more responsible parent.Changing schools during custody dispute?Chances are if he is already been to school in the town you live in they will let him stay there they try to do what is best for the child. Good luck.