Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do you go about changing custody for a minor who wants to live with another relative?

My neice is 12 and will be 13 in a few months. She is currently lving with her grandma. She she doens't get along with her grandma and wants to move another relatives house. She's nearly 13 and has said she wants to move out asap. What kind of paperwork do I need to get this started? She was adobted my her grandma but because of personality conflicts (grandma suffers from severe depression) the child wants to move in with her uncle(me)I've never done this before and wanted to know where to get started. I'm in California. Any info about custody would be appreciated.How do you go about changing custody for a minor who wants to live with another relative?I would seriously like to know what your wife says about accepting a 12 year old to move in with you!

Another thing if you are a single man, The Warning Bells Are Ringing! I'm serious, is there any other reason that you want a 12 almost 13 year old girl to move in with you?How do you go about changing custody for a minor who wants to live with another relative?I would start in the opposite direction. This is a very difficult age for most children, especially young girls. Ask Grandma if your niece can come visit you for a few weeks or the Summer. See how things go and take it from there.



Grandma will have to relinquish her custodial rights or you will have to prove she is incapable of handling them. Either way, working this out amicably together (you, Grandma and your niece) is in the best interest of long-term relationships.